Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mountain Biking - Sylvan Island Park, Moline, Illinois

Today I tagged along with my husband and his friend on a mountain bike ride at Sylvan Island Park in Moline, Illinois. The tiny island is covered like a spiderweb with single track trails. I wore my Garmin watch, and you can see how much we looped over and over the same areas. I say "we" loosely because I was able to ride with them for a short distance, and then the trail would get technical and they'd drop me. Don't worry, they weren't being insensitive--I give them permission to drop me like a hot potato when we ride together. Before today, I hadn't been mountain biking in two and a half years. Before that, it had been 6 or 7 years, and before THAT, I never was really that good at it.

The nice thing about riding here is it's impossible to get lost. This works out nicely for people like me with no sense of direction.

Despite the fact that I had no one to ride with (was hoping to find some other ladies there but didn't see any), I had a great time. With the island being so small, I ran into the guys several times, and I'd ride with them for a bit and then either not be able to keep up or take a turn when they went on a technical trail. 

The island is a nice mix of very simple beginner trails and twisty, turny, more technical trails for advanced riders. You aren't going to practice your climbing or downhill skills here, but you can certainly work on turns and choosing good lines on single track trails laced with random tree trunks, old manufacturing building debris, and large rocks. 

After a couple of hours of riding, I'd had enough, so I did a bit of trail running on the island while I waited for the guys to finish. I'd love to go back and do more running there--I think it is even more suited to running with its small size and technical yet not-to-hilly trails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment